Tuesday, 22 January 2013

Zara Office City Bag Review

Since I will be going to university later this year, I am going to need a snazzy bag to carry my laptop and various bits and bobs in in a more organised way than just shoving it all in one bottomless pit of a handbag that I tend to do currently. I have been looking online for a while to find a sophisticated, suitably compartmentalised handbag that wasn't too expensive. I saw FleurDeForce's review of the Chanel Executive Tote, and I loved it, but let's be realistic here, I begrudge paying over a fiver for mascara so it wasn't really going to happen. I did a little digging and found a comparison review blogpost between the Chanel Executive Tote and the Zara Office City Bag, and I adored the Zara bag even more than the Chanel. It was exactly what I had been looking for and after doing a little more research I resolved to get it when I was next in town. Of course, Zara didn't have the bag in stock (believe me, I combed through the shop meticulously) so I ordered it online. The bag costs £49.99, and there is free delivery on orders over £50, so I bought the cheapest item on their website, a pair of socks (which are actually very nice) to get the free delivery.
So there was a bit of a calamity with the delivery and it ended up taking 3 weeks to arrive. I really don't rate Zara's customer service but that's another story entirely. So I finally got it in the biggest box I've ever seen, so here are some photos:
The bag is 17" long so can fit any standard laptop size, so is pretty big. That's what I wanted as I loved oversized bags, but I know it's not for anyone and it does look a little brief-casey so if you don't like that then it's perhaps not for you. It has no visible branding except on the inside, so it looks a lot more expensive than it is. It has gold hardware, which normally I wouldn't go for but it looks really sophisticated. It also comes with a shoulder strap which is adjustable to make it more comfortable to carry if you've got a lot of stuff.

The bag is divided into 5 compartments, three zipped and two magnetic closure sections. The zipped compartments have no pockets but the middle one is padded to keep your laptop/kindle safe. One of the two magnetic closure sections has a zipped section and the other one has several cardholders and a phone holder. I love the fact the lining of the bag is burgundy because it looks luxurious and it means you can more easily find your things in the dark. It was quite hard to photograph the inside of the bag but here's an idea:



 (D'ya like my leggings?)

Here's a photo of me holding it so you can see how big it is. I just love it; it has the perfect number of sections for me to put everything I could possibly want in, it feels sturdy and well-made (it is not real leather but it has very similar cross-hatching to the Prada Saffiano Tote) and I think it looks really classy. The bag itself is quite heavy which is a consideration if you're carrying a lot of stuff, but the shoulder-strap is definitely useful to prevent your arms getting too sore. I love the style of it as I don't think I will grow out of it any time soon and it will go with just about anything; I really see this becoming my everyday bag when I go to uni. You can probably buy a similar-looking bag for cheaper than £50 but I don't begrudge spending this amount at all as I think it will last me for a very long time without breaking or losing its shape. Of course I will edit this blogpost if it does disappoint me in the future, but hopefully that won't happen.

I hope this review was interesting and I'd love to hear what you think about the bag, or if you have any alternatives that you use to carry around folders and laptops and all that jazz.
Thanks for reading and have a lovely day,
Kathryn

16 comments:

  1. I just ordered this bag last night as it reminded me so much of the prada bag! It's beautiful and so classy good purchase :)
    Frankiebooxx.blogspot.com xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that's what I thought when I saw it. I hope you're as happy with yours as I am with mine. :)

      Delete
  2. What size is your laptop? Mine's 14 inch, trying to check it will fit before I order it, as Bath doesn't have a Zara!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine is also 14 inch and it fits fine, in fact I've tried a 17 inch laptop in it and that fitted too. It's a pretty big bag!

      Delete
    2. Yay - birthday money, here I go! I see lots of nice laptop bags which only have space fr a 13 inch MacBook.

      Delete
  3. Love the look of this bag! Very temped to pick one up for uni :) x

    http://anna-blush.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's gorgeous isn't it; I just feel fabulous carrying it about! I would definitely recommend it for uni. :)

      Delete
  4. I've just ordered this bag for work! Changing offices and fancied a change of style, so excited for when it arrives :) xx

    http://makeuprosebeauty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it as much as I do! :)

      Delete
    2. Received this today! I love it! :)!! X

      Delete
  5. I desperately want this bag because it looks so practical for uni as well as looking sooo nice! Too bad I live where Zara doesn't ship. Contemplating on buying it off eBay, the only thing stopping me is that it's going for an extra 30ish pounds! ahh what to do... x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a shame it doesn't ship to your country. I don't want to be the devil's advocate but I'd say if it's going to last you a good few years it's probably worth the extra investment. :)

      Delete
  6. My entire blog is dedicated to finding inexpensive but great quality bags that mirror the best designers! And Zara is my personal fav for handbags!!!

    www.keepcalmandcarryall.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! I was just wondering how thick the shoulder strap is? I've had big bags before which I've bought with the intention of carrying my laptop but the shoulder strap was so thin that it really dug into my shoulder when weighted down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for commenting. The strap has a wider section where it sits on your shoulder and is probably 2 inches wide so is very comfortable to wear. You can probably find photos of it online. :)

      Delete
  8. I love this post, great bag and brilliant review! Keep up the good work.

    Rachael-victoria.blogspot.co.uk

    Xx

    ReplyDelete